Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Castles, Cars, and Beer

9/23 - Late night at work since it was my last workday here in Germany, so Joerg-Stephan and I tried to make the most of it. Dean and I met Yuen for a late dinner at a fancy restaurant where we all had lamb chops with a yummy pepper sauce. That's about it for today...

9/24 - I woke up at the butcrack of dawn (4:45am!) to bring Yuen to the airport - he was catching a flight to Vienna to meet a group of friends for a long weekend - they were taking a tour of Europe and he was meeting up with them for Austria and then Venice. I actually decided to stay awake and get an early start for the day - that doesn't happen often! :) Anyway, Dean and I headed to the famous Neuschwanstein castle (the one Disney based their castle in the Magic Kingdom) and Hohenschwangau castle. Neuschwanstein is amazing - just hard to believe that its real, even walking inside of it - and the countryside is so picturesque - just amazing. Supposedly Ludwig II wanted to live in his own little fantasyland, well, he created one hell of a place! Hohenschwangau was Ludwig's father's castle just about a mile away and was pretty impressive too. Oh, and that hike from Hohenschwangau up to Neuschwanstein was pretty intense - felt like we were climbing up at a 45 degree angle! - and I'm sure it didn't help we took the "short" way up - a small gravel path that said it would take 10 minutes less to get to the top - what were we thinking? (or should I say, what was Dean thinking, and why'd I let him think it! :) Dean and I had a nice late lunch in the town in the valley between the two castles, then headed back to Boeblingen. What should have been a two hour trip back turned into almost 4 because they were doing contruction on the autobahn. I mention this because two things were equally impressive about this, in opposite ways. The bad - the autobahn went from two to one lanes and they didn't give much warning - just a big truck with a blinking arrow parked in the right lane that you couldn't see until you were about 50 feet away from it - caused slight merging problems and bumper to bumper traffic for 10+ kilometers. The impressive - they were literally tearing up the lane about 2 feet deep with one machine, and a couple hundred meters behind it they were laying down the new asphalt, and a few meters behind that they were steamrolling it and putting the top layer on! Now, I think about how long it took in the US to complete a few miles of resurfacing of I-10 - it seems to take us years, and over in Germany, it seems like they'd have several kilometers done by morning! ok, maybe I was just going crazy from sitting in traffic for 2 hours...guess ya had to be there...

9/25 - I ask you, would my trip to Germany been complete if I found out that one of the largest car shows in the world was taking place about two hours from me, and I didn't go? I didn't think so either! I took off on my own Sunday morning to Frankfurt to attend the Frankfurt IAA show. Here's a mental image for you from my trip there - me blasting down the autobahn at 140mph in my Beemer with Mozart blaring on the radio - just made me smile. Anyway, the auto show was huge - I walked through most of the 10 buildings of the convention center pretty much non-stop for 5 hours - and I still think I only saw about 2/3 of what was there. It was an eye opener to see all of the cars that just never make it to America - cars I had only seen in Gran Tourismo before now :) Anyway, I high-tailed it back to Boeblingen and Dean and I hopped on the train to Stuttgart for the Volksfest - like a mini-Oktoberfest, but still frickin' huge! Anyway, I had the worlds largest wienerschnitzel and another 3 liters of beer - good times. Gonna miss the hefeweizens over here... Chad, guess I'll be joining ya ordering those weizens when we go out! That's about it - signing off from Germany.

1 Comments:

At 9/27/2005 11:00 AM, Blogger Chad said...

140 mph, that's just crazy. And glad to hear that about the hefs. If you kept ordering cider when we went to beer bars, well, the Jerry sissy jokes would increase is all I'm sayin'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home